Tuesday & Wednesday, May 12-13, 2015 — Departing to Paris

We woke early to catch the limo to Ft. Lauderdale airport. We travel to Atlanta, then board an overnight flight to Paris. All went smoothly and we left out of Atlanta’s new International Concourse F, which is conveniently located just 15 miles from Terminal A, where we landed. The new concourse is beautiful, with plenty of duty-free shops and restaurants. We should have taken advantage of the restaurants as the dinner food on the flight was virtually inedible. We both agreed it was the worst inflight meal ever. We will definitely eat beforehand on our return leg of the journey.

Despite being delayed for take-off because of an air-conditioning issue, we arrived in Paris on time. The only negative was the new biz-class seats that Delta has installed on their 767s. They apparently got a deal on old iron lungs and converted them to seats. They are very uncomfortable, and very hard to get in and out of. Plus, the controls are clumsy.

Enough griping. On landing, we waited onboard 30 minutes because the jet way wasn’t operating properly. Once that was resolved, we happily headed to the train station in the airport to pick up the TVG to Avignon.

The 8:30 TGV showed on time, and we were on our way. The weather was beautiful, sunny and mild. Two stops (Lyon and Valence) and we were in Avignon. David picked up our Audi A4 wagon and we headed for St. Remy for a bite of lunch, as aside from gnawing on our armrests, we had not eaten since we left home.

As usual, St. Remy was jammed. It was market day, so the crowds were extra large, but David found a place at the southern end of the boulevard. We opted for a table outside at Les Varieties, a bistro we’ve eaten at before. I don’t know if it was jet lag but the service was extremely slow and the food was mediocre. David opted for the sole which looked like a rolled up tongue, I selected the St. Jacques brochette which consisted of 2 scallops on a bed of cold 5-day old rice that was glued together. We got through lunch and happily left for our friend’s (Philippe and Christine) rental apartment where we were staying for a few days. We hopped in the car, drove through the Alpilles to Les Baux. Upon arriving we were happily greeted by Philippe and Christine’s doggy, Fred. After saying hello, sleep deprivation loomed, so we headed to the apartment for a quick nap. We met up with Christine a couple of hours later to catch up and were invited to join in a small family celebration for Philippe’s birthday. Although exhausted, we happily toasted Philippe and then participated in a family game of petanque. Petanque is similar to the Italian game of bocce, except without the bloodshed. The teams were chosen, and the winning score would be 8 points. It was a very close match, but Philippe’s team prevailed and were declared the champions. All in all a nice ending for Philippe’s birthday.

We said our Bon Nuits and headed to the apartment, as Thursday was a dialysis day and a longer drive than usual to Salon-de-Provence from Les Baux.


One Response to Tuesday & Wednesday, May 12-13, 2015 — Departing to Paris

  1. Kitty Mann says:

    Glad you got to France safe and sound!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: